As there are many people who do meditate regularly, there are quite a few people who don’t. To those of you who don’t, you may not be sure of all the benefits associated with meditating. There are many physical and psychological benefits that will help you live a healthy life (and maybe an even longer one!). Everyone just assumes meditation is to help you concentrate and be calm. While those are true benefits, there are many more that are just as important. I’ve posted the link to the article on the bottom of this post, but I will go over both physical and psychological benefits.
- Oxygen consumption lessens
- Respiratory rates decrease
- Heart rate slows down
- Level of exercise tolerance in heart patients increases
- High blood pressure decreases
- Muscle tension and headaches decrease
- Chance of allergies and arthritis decreases
- For women, PMS can be reduced (thankfully!)
- Serotonin levels (mood and behavior) increase
- Lower levels of serotonin have been associated with depression, obesity, insomnia and headaches
- Creativity increases
- Anxiety and depression decreases
- Irritability and moodiness decreases
- Improved learning abilities and increase in memory retention
- Increased sense of happiness and emotional stability
If these benefits don’t change your mind to start meditating, then I don’t know what will! These are great benefits that will most likely change your everyday mood and outlook on life. It doesn’t change it overnight, but since I’ve been meditating, I’ve noticed a change in my outlook on life.
So try meditating each day and you’ll soon start to see the benefits and your life turning around.
The article that I summarized can be found here for more information.